Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Scritchy....Scritchy, Scritchy

Surgeon inspected, surgeon approved. The tape is off, and this discreet wound now begs to be scratched more than ever! How can it be numb, asleep really, yet so demanding? It sits there like a miniature mountain ridge of skin, slightly jagged and imperfect. Bumpy. Pink and black.
I am taking less and less pain medication, trying to feel what healing feels like. I feel uncomfortable taking so many pills, so I keep trying to "kick my habit" only to be reminded that healing feels like being mildly electrocuted in the stomach every 20 seconds while carrying 8 lbs of bricks on your shoulders and mourning the loss of something vague.

I have spent most of the day upright- sitting, walking... even climbing the driveway, which seems to ascend straight into the sky. It took me several minutes, and I kept hoping none of my neighbors were witnessing this ridiculous feat. I took a nice walk and met Christina for coffee at the new bookstore in our neighborhood. I love a good Tuesday morning. It feels like I am cutting school still!

Tonight Brian & Brian are making sushi for dinner. The room service around here keeps getting better.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see pictures of the undressed wound now... I don't care about your cousins squeamishness.

    Please?

    ReplyDelete